Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Final Day in Edinburgh

The trip is coming to an end, but I'm not complaining. I've had a really great time and I'm already planning my next trip back. I've learned a lot about myself and people in general. I want to say first and foremost, the Scottish people are some of the nicest and most gracious people I've ever met. 

Everyone was willing to help the American and my destruction of their language when trying to pronounce their foods, drinks, cities, towns, national monuments, rivers, lochs and just about everything else when I opened my mouth.

Most were very patient, speaking slowly (while rolling their eyes) as they helped me through the word or phrase I was trying say. Except bus drivers. They would gruffly mumble something and then yell out loud enough for the entire bus to hear, "Eer's ya'stop mate!" anxious to get me off and on to their next stop. 

It was odd having people comment on my accent wondering whether I was Canadian or American. A young guy, about 22 years old, having a pint after work with his buddies wanted to hear me talk, asking many questions about American football and baseball. He couldn't get his head wrapped around American football's rules and why the players wore so much bloody equipment, "Soccer and rugby players don't wear crap!" Said it looked queer. I, on the other hand, have finally got a grasp on soccer, and to some degree, rugby. Heaven forbid!

Yesterday, in late afternoon, the sky opened up a bit and I was able to get few more decent shots. Note the last two photos below taken of Edinburgh Castle. They were taken two seconds apart, then the camera ran out of juice. Curses, foiled again!









1 comment: